From the very first night of its opening on 24th May 1904, the DLI Hall has been the scene of a great number of social occasions, both Regimental and public.  Between 1906 and 1913 it was recorded that the Regimental band, which has been such an integral part of the spirit of the DLI, played regularly to large audiences in the hall. Before World War Two, numerous fund- raising functions were organized by the Comrades Association and the Womens Auxiliary and these continued into the war years.

During the age of big bands  and dance hall  festivities, the most  important  wartime  uses  were the dances , arranged  at  times  for the men  of the  Regiment, but also  for the entertainment  of hundreds of thousands  of service  men and women  passing through  the port of Durban. 

For decades, the two best known facilities in Durban to countless people around the globe were The Playhouse Cinema and the DLI Hall. As early as 1940, dances were organized by the Navy League, the MOTHS, the Red Cross, St John’s Ambulance, the Thumbs Up Club, the Womens Auxiliary, Air Guard Auxiliary and various other Religious denominations.

The DLI Hall has also been used for many other social functions including sporting events such as boxing tournaments in the 1940’s and 1950’s, polling stations, TV quiz programmes, farewell parties, art exhibitions and book launches.  It continues to be used for many community purposes till today, including school and public meetings, Graduations, Wedding Anniversaries, University Exams and especially wedding receptions. We provide excellent facilities, such as easy access, ample and secure large size of the hall itself. The DLI Hall has a brand new Saligna wood floor, is air-conditioned and we have no restriction on Religion or Dietary requirements. These popular community uses have also provided financial support for the Regiment.